Thought for the Week
Every week, our former assistant minister, Peter Milsom, writes an article which relates the teaching of the Bible to daily life and current events. These weekly articles are brought to you from the Thought for the Week website. You can read more about the ministry here.
We invite you to read the articles each week and pray that they will enable you to find real help and encouragement in God’s Word and especially in his Son, Jesus Christ. The articles are also published every week in newspapers throughout the UK.
- Christians love to sing of about their Saviour, Jesus Christ. They find great help and encouragement in singing hymns that express their faith in Jesus. Singing psalms, hymns, and spiritual songs together with other Christians lifts their spirits. Many Christian hymns and songs focus on the life experiences of Christians in this world. A hymn […]
- The husband of a good friend of ours died recently. He was elderly and in the last years of his life had suffered from dementia. His wife lovingly cared for him and said she was overwhelmed with the support from the NHS and friends and neighbours, especially in his last few weeks. Most of their […]
- A few days ago, my wife and I visited North Wales. In beautiful sunny weather we drove through the mountains of the Snowdonia National Park. The mountains towered above us and looked majestic. Sheep were peacefully grazing on the hillsides. The mountains provided a backdrop to the beautiful coastline with its lovely beaches which were […]
- Someone has said that Jesus never met an unimportant person. Large crowds of ordinary people followed him and gladly listened to his teaching. His life was very busy, but he was always ready to spend time with people and to give them his undivided attention. When sick and needy people were brought to him, he […]
- A few weeks ago, I was driving behind a local bus and noticed an advert on the back of it which read “Try praying.” When I got home, I looked up the Try Praying website. It said, “Does anyone listen when we pray? Is there anyone there who cares about our lives? Most people pray […]
- Johannes Kepler was a distinguished 17th century German astronomer and mathematician. His laws of planetary motion modified the earlier work of Nicolaus Corpernicus and provided one of the foundations for Isaac Newton’s theory of universal gravitation. Kepler was a Christian who believed that God created the universe in an orderly fashion and that the laws […]
- Porsche, the German luxury sports car company, has been criticised for airbrushing a statue of Jesus out of a recent promotional video celebrating 60 years of its iconic 911 model. The video was shot in Lisbon and shows a Porsche 911 in the foreground with the famous Cristo Rei landmark in the background. The giant […]
- A new football season has begun. Some top footballers are Christians and try to show their faith by the way they live. Heurelho da Silva Gomes comes from Brazil. He has played as goalkeeper for his national team as well as for Premier League teams Tottenham Hotspur and Watford. His early life wasn’t easy. He […]
- Every day we hear reports of people who have died. The daily global number of deaths is around 150,000 people. People die in the wars in Yemen, Sudan, and Ukraine. Starving children die. Old people die in care homes. Seriously sick people die in hospitals. New-born babies die and sometimes their mothers also die. Death […]
- The war in Ukraine is having a massive human cost. Ukraine has suffered 109,000 casualties and 15,000 killed in action. Russia has suffered 190,000 casualties and 35,000 killed in action. A notebook has been discovered written by Vitaliy Taktashov, a young Russian soldier. The notebook contains letters Vitaliy wrote to his wife. On 29 November […]